Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

Adventure Tales for a Hot Summer Night

Have you heard of Horatio Alger? In his day, he wrote hundred's of adventure tales. He was hugely prolific. The books generally followed a common theme. Young man, from humble beginnings, strikes out on his own and overcomes adversity to make something of himself. People loved his books. He spawned an entire movement of boy adventure books that many authors embraced.


Well, I just ran across a ton of these works at my favorite used bookstore in Boston. The books come with lovingly designed cover art that depicts the boy on his adventure.

I'm going to grab one some hot summer evening and escape into someone else's adventure.  Or maybe I'll just gaze at the lovely art and imagine my own adventure. I've listed a few in my etsy shop you can see what I mean here.

1 comment:

MegansBeadedDesigns said...

I love the old school illustrations on these books.