Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

We're in Kansas, Toto

I found this photo in a New Hampshire antiques store.  I know this picture wasn't taken in New England. But I am confident that this captures a scene in a small town that might be in Kansas, Eastern Colorado, Nebraska, or even Oklahoma.  I recognized the scene from my childhood. I grew up in a small town in Nebraska, with wide open streets, and modest houses. 

We used to drive south into Kansas to visit my maiden aunts, who were 94 and 95 at the time. This could also have been taken in their hometown of Onega. Their house looked like this one. It sat across from the train station.  Their chicken coop always had a few skinny chickens roosting. And mostly for dinner my Aunts served us - fried chiden. Aunt Babe would thoughtfully chew on her favorite piece, the chicken foot.

In any event, this picture evoked memories of the small towns on the Plains States and a different way of life.

3 comments:

JCPIII said...

I agree about the wide ope streets. But the Palm tree on the right gives it a more tropical flavor.

SarahBeth said...

Your aunt ate the FOOT??!! Yikes! Maybe it was her age and they ate all parts when she was growing up.. Just can't imagine it!!

I remember once while visiting two aunts in Alabama, I had frog legs for the first time. My aunt went outside and caught some frogs and there you go!!

JCPIII said...

It could be Galveston, TX. It does have that Mid-Western feel in a Beach Scene.